Mission & Overview
The Counseling and Guidance Department serves all students, grades nine through twelve, using a proactive and preventive approach. The guidance team assists students in acquiring and using life-long learning skills in a developmental systematic nature.
Academic Advising- Academic Advising consists of advisor-directed activities that help all students plan, monitor, and manage learning. Students meet with advisors a minimum of twice a year to review academic progress and to plan yearly academic course work.
College Counseling- Salesian offers a college preparatory program of studies that exceeds the University of California a – g entrance requirements. The curriculum provides a solid foundation for continuing education and for career development. Students are counseled and placed in courses based upon placement examination results, previous academic performance, and personal choice.
The Guidance Department is devoted to empowering each student, with the objectives of the following:
- Following Don Bosco’s “Oratory Model” where students recognize the significance of Home, School, Church, and Playground
- Provide a place that enhances the environment where students can feel free to seek and receive help from skilled, compassionate adults
- Assist students in setting educational goals by providing guidance that will help students make realistic decisions.
- Support the spiritual development of each student
- Assist students with the selection of post-secondary education and career development
- Work collaboratively with the administration, faculty, and staff regarding academic advising, college counseling, and career planning